Re: GNOME 2.0 Menu design

A few suggested tweaks:

> > Internet Web Browser (Mozilla X.X) (Netscape/Mozilla browser)
> > [Use to browse the Internet or local html documents]

Web Browser (Mozilla) [Browse the world-wide web or local HTML
documents]

> > Volume Meter (ESD Volume Meter) [Adjust the volume of your speakers]
>
> Volume Meter -> Volume Monitor
>
> "Adjust the volume..." -> "Monitor the volume level output from your
> computer"

Volume Monitor [Monitor the volume of sound output]

> > Character Map (GNOME Character Map)
> > [Shows special characters and allows you to copy them into documents]

Character Map [Insert special characters into documents]

> > Startup Hint [Browse through the GNOME Startup Hints]
>
> Should this even be in the menus? I mean, I'm sure that the startup
> hints programmer was really proud of his program and wanted to maximize
> its use...but... <shrug> I vote we remove this from the menus.

Agreed. It should be replaced with a GNOME tutorial, possibly reusing
the text from the startup hints.

> > System Terminal (GNOME Terminal) [A window with a command prompt
> > so you can type in Unix commands]

Terminal [Enter Unix commands at the command prompt]

> I don't like the description, but I can't think of a better one.
> "Process Manager (procman) [View and kill running applications or other
> processes]" might be one way to describe it. I prefer we lose the name
> process, as that seems like techno-babble.

The KDE usability guidelines make a sensible distinction between
'applications' and 'Unix processes'. The KDE dev site seems to be down
at the moment, but the page is somewhere under
<http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/>. How
about:

Process Manager [View and manage the Unix processes running on this
computer]

('Running on this computer' is a reminder that applications may
correspond to Unix processes running on a remote machine.)

Michael