Re: GNOME 2.0 Menu design

On 13 Aug 2001 00:19:54 -0700, Seth Nickell wrote:

> > Text File Viewer (removed from GNOME 2.0?)
>
> kill this too.

No menu item for gedit? Shouldn't there be an item for a simple text
editor?

This brings up another thing. There is an entry for gnucash in
Productivity, but what about gnumeric and abiword?

> > System Terminal (GNOME Terminal) [A window with a command prompt
> > so you can type in Unix commands]
>
> I don't like the description, but I can't think of a better one.

How about "Enter Unix commands into a command prompt" since the present
tooltip is not a verb.

> > System Monitor (System monitor) [View the processes, memory and
> > file system information of your computer]
>
> This is deprecated in GNOME 1.4.1 and is replaced with "Process Manager"
> (may be renamed...any suggestions?). Process manager is more like the
> CTL-ALT-DEL dialogue in Windows95 then the large nebulous mass it
> replaces.
>
> "Process Manager (procman) [View and kill running applications or other
> processes]" might be one way to describe it. I prefer we lose the name
> process, as that seems like techno-babble.

Okay, here are my present feelings about how we should do procman. First
I think the menu item should be System Monitor (Procman). The tooltip
would have to lose the part about file system info because procman does
not do that yet (though maybe it will by 2.0).

Second we should bind ctrl-alt-del to start up procman, just like
windows.

I somehow feel that people who don't know what the term "process" means
will not be inclined to use procman anyway, except for windows users who
will look for an app that kills processes and the ctrl-alt-del binding
will satisfy them.