Re: Menu guidelines updated

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 12:27:27PM -0400, Michael T. Babcock wrote:
> On the note of file opening, reverting ... the file menu really does
> depend on what gets decided for a standard OPEN dialog.  If the
> open dialog becomes something like MS' Office 2000 dialog
> (I will have screenshots of it at
> http://www.fibrespeed.net/~mbabcock/images/office2k-open/
> within the next 5 minutes or so for those who haven't seen
> it), some of the File menu options become quite redundant.
> If, OTOH, we go for complete simplicity in the open dialog,
> we need more options on the File menu.

Yes, I can see that some of the File menu's responsibilities can be
delegated to the dialog. I was working on the assumption that the
dialog was going to remain simple. (If anyone knows otherwise -- hell,
if anyone knows _anything_ about what's planned for the file dialogs
-- please let me know.)

Whether those responsibilities should or shouldn't be delegated to the
dialog is another matter. Opinions, anyone?

> As for reverting within the opening of a file, I have seen a few
> apps that offer a dialog such as (verbose on purpose, not
> an actual dialog suggestion):
> "You already have <filename> open in another window.
> Would you like to open a new copy of it in a new window
> or revert that open copy back to its last-saved state?
> [ new copy | revert existing | cancel ]"

hmm. I like the option of opening a new window or continuing with the
old one, but I'm still not sure about putting Revert in there. It's a
rather dangerous command and it would make more sense to me to let the
user request it explicitly.

colin