Re: Hi folks (and some random thoughts)

Brian, folks --

First of all, we are definitely including standard keybindings, keyboard shortcuts, and standard menus in the mini-guidelines, at least in some form. (I talked to Brian a bit about this on IRC.)

I do have some opinions on the below, as Brian mentioned in his followup...

My main thought here is to note that, as many of us have said many times before, just because Microsoft has spent millions of dollars on usability testing doesn't mean that they spend a whole lot of effort on designing useful and usable software in the first place. Usability testing on a lousy design results in a slightly less lousy design.

This is not to say that all of Microsoft's designs are lousy, of course. But I think it's really important to approach these things with a critical eye, starting from the user's end goals and working inward, rather than simply saying "well, Microsoft did it and they've been very successful, so it must work..." I also don't mean to single Brian out here; he definitely makes some good points.