Re: revised patch to change tooltips

Sean McElroy wrote:
[...]
> Either way, I think it would be better to give apps easily pronouncable
> names. I personally think it is annoying that virtually every application
> starts with G or has a capitalized G in its name (reminds me of Sesame
> Street: "Today's desktop is brought to you by the letter G") - KDE is
> equally guilty in this respect. I don't necessarily think this helps users
> remember that they are using Gnome, and it only breeds mispronounciations
> (Gedit becomes jed-it, and the idea of 'Edit' may be completely lost on
> newbies).
> </shocking agreement>

Don't forget translations. Many of the problems you point out also
affect translations, maybe even more.
Something like "GNOME Text Editor" is more of a description than a name
and is thus easily translated, but "gedit" is not. "gedit" is an
invented word, a name of some sort, and cannot really be translated.
Thus the idea is often lost to foreign-language users (the English word
"edit" may get completely lost on these users), and what's left visible
in the menu is just a lot of cryptic invented words with no special
meaning. Combined with the often occurring lack of sensible tooltips,
this is a nightmare

Christian