Re: revised patch to change tooltips

> > > I guess a related question with this approach is what do you do when
> > > people add two different apps to the menus that do much the same
thing,
> > > e.g. Xchat and GnomeChat, Gnotepad and Gedit, Clock and Another Clock?
> > > The tooltips and menu items would be pretty much identical for the two
> > > apps.  Perhaps the application name also needs to be retained in the
> > > menu or the tooltip somehow?
> >
> > How about
> > Gedit Text Editor - like Ximian does
> > or
> > Text Editor (Gedit)
>
> Any preferences on which way to go?
>
> </controversial statement>
> However I still think that for some apps we should try and change their
name to
> something more generic. Although I am unclear what the list of those apps
would be.
> <controversial statement>
>

> > Also, is it right to actually put tooltips for the menu items? For the
theme
> > I use the tooltip background color is exactly the same as the menu
> > background, so the tooltips look like menuitems. Does this happen for
the
> > default theme or most themes? I was glad that Ximian removed the
tooltips
> > from the menu.
>
> maybe tooltip background colour should also be an attribute of a theme?

I just had an interesting idea. What about drawing the tooltip directly over
the menuitem such that the beginning of the tooltip corresponded to the text
of the menutitem as in:
Menuitem:
Text Editor
Tooltip:
Text Editor - view and edit text files.

Right now I'm looking at the WinNT explorer which does that for folders in
the tree view where their names don't fit.

This would mean copying and modifying gtktooltips.c into the panel code
though. I think I will try to fiddle with this tonight to see how it looks.

The thing that I disliked about the tooltips in menus was that they popped
up beneath the menuitem, and thus covered up any menuitems below. Couple
that with the background issue and the tooltip would just blend into the
menu for me.

We should at least make sure that the tooltip background for the default
theme is not the same as the menu background.

> Thanks for your feedback - and everyone elses :)

Thanks for writing this document. I am glad to see this issue finally
addressed.

Regards,
Kevin