Re: revised patch to change tooltips

Kevin Vandersloot wrote:

> [...]

Any preferences on which way to go?

</controversial statement>
However I still think that for some apps we should try and change their name to
something more generic. Although I am unclear what the list of those apps would be.
<controversial statement>

> > Cheeri,
> > Calum.
> >

> I have a few comments on the proposal also. Hope you don't mind :)
>
> First it seems there is an inconsistency with appending the term "with a
> program called .." to the tooltip. This seems unnecessary to me. If it is
> used shouldn't it be used for every tooltip?

okay

> Second it seems that comments like "if you have a microphone connected to
> your computer" are also unnecessary. Again for consistency there are some
> tooltips missing comments like this - for example the volume meter which
> would have to read "If you have speakers connected to your computer, you can
> use this program to adjust the volume." Same thing with gdict, evolution -
> "If you are connected to a network, ...." Taken to the extreme - Gnucash "If
> you have any personal finances, you can use this program to manage them" ,
> or even better - Gnibbles "If you have too much free time, use this program
> to waste it" ; )

yes - your not the first one to point that out - i will remove those

> Also, is it right to actually put tooltips for the menu items? For the theme
> I use the tooltip background color is exactly the same as the menu
> background, so the tooltips look like menuitems. Does this happen for the
> default theme or most themes? I was glad that Ximian removed the tooltips
> from the menu.

maybe tooltip background colour should also be an attribute of a theme?

Thanks for your feedback - and everyone elses :)

I will update the table in a day or so to reflect everyones input.

Nils