Re: PATCH: remove messages from POP cache when deleted

Philip Van Hoof escribiu:
> On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 13:46 +0100, Sergio Villar Senin wrote:
>
>> this is one of the long awaited patches :). With this patch messages
>> (from a POP account) are removed from disk cache always. The original
>> code was a bit confusing due two things
>>    * it never deleted the cached messages because it was trying to
>> delete an inexistent file
>
> Fair enough
>
>>    * in case it ever worked, messages were only deleted from cache if
>> the message was expunged, something that makes no sense. Messages must
>> be always removed from cache even though they're not removed from server.
>
> Not necessarily. Deleted means that it's flagged for deletion. Expunged
> means that it's wiped, gone forever. Including from the server.

That's indeed arguable, but note that there are 3 possibilities in what
you say:
  * mark and then wipe it locally
  * mark and then wipe it both locally and remotelly

You cannot do it with a single bool :-). That's why I think it's better
to always delete it from cache (as IMAP or local providers do) and then
use the expunge for delete from server.

> I don't think that marking a message as flagged-deleted in IMAP today
> removes the cache of that message, either.
>
> So why would this behaviour be different for a POP account?

Actually it's already been done for both IMAP and local storage, the
problem was that POP behaviour was not consistent with the other two.

Br