Renaming blues

I got the renaming blues.

It seems that Courier does not rename subfolders with parent-folder
renames:

A folder on an IMAP server has the name "INBOX.PARENT.NAME"

So when I rename PARENT to NEWNAME I would expect that the folder which
carries the name NAME will now be called "INBOX.NEWNAME.NAME"?! Right?!

No

You will have a list that looks like this. Well, I haven't figured out
whether it's the LIST or the LSUB (the list of subscribed folders) that
returns this.

INBOX.PARENT.NAME
INBOX.PARENT
INBOX.NEWNAME

I don't know what the IMAP server is supposed to do. So I will lookup
the RFC on this. I have been testing on Courier though. Courier is one
of those (by far) worst-case IMAP servers when it comes to following the
standard.

Deleting is more or less the same story. If you still have subscribed
subfolders, then you can indeed delete the folder, but you will still
have it in the LSUB list.

I don't know how to solve this type of crap. Maybe go after all the
subfolders and things like that? Who's into a little bit of IMAP crap
hacking using a bunch of IMAP servers? :-)

http://www.pvanhoof.be/blog