RE: Last version of the new summary storage engine

On Mon Dec 10 22:23:21 2007, Dirk-Jan Binnema nokia com wrote:
> > 2) size should also be a uint32_t, since otherwise on 64-bit > > platforms you'll have a 64-bit size, there, which isn't needed. > > Right. Unless you want to support terrabyte-sized E-mails of course. Also - it would be good to keep the summary format the same on
both 32/64 platforms (and even different-endian), so I can maintain
one ~/.tinymail no matter what I use (this is a real issue on
AMD64, where you can run 32-bit and 64 programs at the same time).

Well, it's more that IMAP imposes a 4G limit - it's an unsigned 32-bit number - so there's no point in trying to support more. No email system will accept anything like 4G anyway.

BTW, wild other idea, what about using, say, SQLite for storing the
summary information? I think that could save us from a lot of
error-prone lowlevel hacking (think about row-level locking)
and make debugging easier. I am not sure about the memory/speed tradeoffs.

For the stringy data, it might work out better. For the fixed-width data (UID, INTERNALDATE, MODSEQ, FLAGS-bitmap, etc), it'd be faster to use mmap(), although you lose the transactional fun.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave cridland net - xmpp:dwd jabber org
 - http://dave.cridland.net/