Re: missing dep in configure

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 11:12 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 16:08 +0700, Markus Bertheau wrote:
> > 2006/10/27, Philip Van Hoof <spam pvanhoof be>:
>
> > > Normally it should mark your system as one that will have no support for
> > > SSL. It looks like it decided that yours does and tried nevertheless.
> > > Resulting in not finding nspr.h of course.
> >
> > Actually I have nspr.h in /usr/include/firefox/nspr (iirc).
>
> In that case, it (tinymail) has misconfigured itself. It should have
> found that and added -I/usr/include/firefox/ to the CFLAGS.
>
> Do you have a firefox-nspr.pc file in /usr/lib/pkgconfig?

I have committed some changes that remove the manual search for the
include files. Now NSS and SSL will only be supported if a
mozilla-nspr.pc or firefox-nspr.pc is found.

It used to manually search too. Ask your packager to add the .pc file of
the -dev packages :-). firefox-dev and mozilla-dev on Ubuntu have this.

I think the packages needed are libnss-dev and libnspr-dev on Ubuntu.

Not having those installed should leave you with a config.h that has no
HAVE_NSS defined, when installed it should have a #define HAVE_NSS 1,
the CFLAGS should then include a -I location where it can find the
nspr.h file.

If not, my configure.ac is again wrong OR the .pc file of your dev
package has a bug (for example, it doesn't have the right "Requires" or
"Cflags" variable setting).

For the mailing list:

I don't think that we (software developers) should keep supporting
libraries that don't ship with a .pc file. So I don't. People who still
want to install on an older mozilla's nspr and nss, can on-their-own
manually set CFLAGS as environment variable. As I don't think I still
want to support libraries that don't come with a .pc file: I'm not into
punishing myself by adding 500 lines of shell code to a configure.ac
file just for finding the location of a .h file.

In the same way I'm probably going to remove other crap from the
libtinymail-camel/camel-lite/configure.ac sooner or later. Like the
Kerberos stuff. To the point that I can merge that configure.ac with the
toplevel configure.ac of tinymail itself.

Maybe we/I should think about creating a bunch of m4 macros that will
cleanup the current configure.ac of tinymail already. I know it's
already a very clean one. But it's growing in size a little bit.

work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be
blog: http://pvanhoof.be/blog