Re: Suggested modifications in the documentation

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 17:48 +0530, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just started off on the doc (if you can send a PDF or a monolithic
> tarball of HTML it will be great since I am going offline for a couple
> of days) and suggest modifications on the Introduction (will keep
> posting other modifications as and when I run into them)

You can build these docs (so you can use a checkout while being offline:
svn co https://svn.tinymail.org/svn/tinymail)

./autogen.sh --enable-gtk-docs --enable-tests  --with-html-component=mozembed
make
cd docs/devel/reference

The file which you wanted to edit is libtinymail-docs.sgml. I did this
for you this time ;)

pvanhoof ubuntu:~/repos/tinymail/tinymail$ cd docs/devel/reference/
pvanhoof ubuntu:~/repos/tinymail/tinymail/trunk/docs/devel/reference$ ls
libtinymail-docs.sgml  libtinymail.types  Makefile  Makefile.am  Makefile.in  tmpl  xml
pvanhoof ubuntu:~/repos/tinymail/tinymail/trunk/docs/devel/reference$ vi libtinymail-docs.sgml
pvanhoof ubuntu:~/repos/tinymail/tinymail/trunk/docs/devel/reference$ cd ..
pvanhoof ubuntu:~/repos/tinymail/tinymail/trunk/docs/devel$ cd ..
pvanhoof ubuntu:~/repos/tinymail/tinymail/trunk/docs$ cd ..
pvanhoof ubuntu:~/repos/tinymail/tinymail/trunk$ vi ChangeLog
pvanhoof ubuntu:~/repos/tinymail/tinymail/trunk$ vi ChangeLog
pvanhoof ubuntu:~/repos/tinymail/tinymail/trunk$ svn commit -m "Language corrections by Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay"
Sending        trunk/ChangeLog
Sending        trunk/docs/devel/reference/libtinymail-docs.sgml
Transmitting file data ..
Committed revision 1046.
pvanhoof ubuntu:~/repos/tinymail/tinymail/trunk$

You typically edit the files in docs/devel/reference/tmpl and in the
sources the descriptions themselves (they have been written above the
functions in C comments, which means that they must be between a "/*"
and a "*/")

You don't want to edit the generated html files in html nor the
generated xml files in xml. The tmpl files are not generated (they are
in the tmpl directory) and allow you to add some additional information
(information that shouldn't be put in the .c files, above the functions
themselves).

This page explains it:

http://tinymail.org/trac/tinymail/wiki/HelpAPIReference

> [original]
>
> Tinymail is a development framework for both accessing E-mail services
> and building a user interface for it. It will make sure you, as a
> developer, can do this on devices with few memory resources. It supports
> IMAP, Exchange and NNTP. It can be used to send messages over SMTP. It's
> licensed as LGPL.
>
> [suggestion]
>
> Tinymail is a development framework for accessing both E-mail services
> and building an User Interface for it. It will make sure that you as a
> developer can do this on devices with low memory resources. It supports
> IMAP, Exchange and NNTP. It can be used to send messages over SMTP. It
> is licensed under LGPL
>
> Regards
> Sankarshan
>
> - --
>
> You see things; and you say 'Why?';
> But I dream things that never were;
> and I say 'Why not?' - George Bernard Shaw

work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be
blog: http://pvanhoof.be/blog