Re: Debian packages

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 12:19 +0100, �stein Gisn�wrote:

> Let the goal be to make the packaging scripts the best starting point
> for someone that want to customise and package for their platform more
> than aiming for desktop users. I'm not sure if it's worth it to use m4
> or other kind of scripts to create the package scripts. As long as the
> autotools build scripts are sane, the amount of customisation in the
> debian scripts will be minimal. Any potential packager will be able to
> edit debian/rules and modify for example
> --with-html-component=mozembed to =gtkhtml anyway.

I agree although I would also like a feature that would give a developer
the flexibility to get a package easily by letting the environment take
care of it.

I do think pragmatic about packages however. I know you can't make *the*
package build environment that will work for every imaginable purpose by
simply configuring it unless we develop an environment for it that would
equal the size of tinymail itself in amount of code ;-)

If you know of such debian-package configuration tools, integration with
it might also be a good option.

For now, it's okay if people can tweak it. Which makes "debian/", just
like "tinymail/" and "tests/" a directory with tweakable stuff.

I wonder whether it would be possible to have multiple directories with
different types of package configurations? That way, if people
contribute an interesting typical Debian package (lets say for example
for Modest and the Nokia 770, for GPE and one for OLPC), we could host
that work in the repository too.

Or maybe setup a new repository for such packaging work? If packagers
want or need this on svn.tinymail.org: they can of course ask me.

work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be