[system-tools] Configuring network interface via liboobs when NetworkManager is running.

Hi,

I'm just trying to get my head around how the network device is managed between
GST, liboobs, NetworkManager, and dhcdbd.  I'm currently working with Ubuntu
8.04, so the software versions I'm dealing with are a little bit old at this
point.

I've been looking at the source for each of these components.  It looks like NM
handles the device for DHCP configurations only.  Otherwise, GST configures the
device via liboobs and then does a sleep/wake cycle with NM so that it sees that
things have changed.

However, I can't see how this approach wouldn't be vulnerable to race
conditions.  If NM is currently managing the interface, and I switch it to a
static config, it seems like dhclient might change the config after the static
config is applied but before NM is cycled (which I assume would cause dhclient
to be killed via dhcdbd).

Is this as racy as it seems it is?

Thanks,
Forest