Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Network-admin on Mandrake Linux 9.1

Hi roberto :-),

El jue, 29-05-2003 a las 14:04, Roberto Rosselli Del Turco escribió:
> Hi all,
> I've started testing the latest release of the GST under Mandrake Linux,
> I think you could start considering adding this distro to the supported
> ones list. This report concerns network-admin:

mandrake 9.1 (except for the network-tool) has just been added :-P

> - when running without root password, you can apparently save a Network
> profile but next time you launch the tool, both as root or as simple
> user, you won't find it;

that's now fixed, thanks, I didn't realize :-)

> - when you try to activate a connection, the highlighted button is "No"
> (I would expect it to be "Yes"), same for disabling it;

I think that this is the safest default, you might close a connection
that you wouldn't want to close, it happened to me a couple of times
before adding that dialog :-P

> - when you try to activate a PPP connection, and the modem is turned
> off, you get no warning about it: the light bulb icon is turned on, but
> of course the connection is not working (SUGGESTION: 1) warn the user if
> the modem is not responding 2) turn the lamp on only after the
> connection is up and running);

you're right, it should do some checking first, I'll look it

>   - sometimes disabling a PPP connection fails, you're forced to turn
> off the modem;

hmm, I've never experienced this :-/

>   - it is currently impossible to add new hosts: when you move to the
> Hosts tab, the first one is automatically highlighted (but the "Delete"
> button is ghosted for localhost) and you can only click on another one,
> the "Add" button is never usable;

yeah, that part of the tool needs lots of love... I was thinking about a
way of rewritting it...

>   - files in /etc are written even if no actual modification is made.

It's hard to test for changes, sometimes the best a tool can do is to
apply the changes...

	Thanks for your feedback :-)