Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Moving the tools forward.

El jue, 29-08-2002 a las 19:56, Miguel de Icaza escribió:
> Hey guys,
>
>    I am personally a believer that Gnome should address the system tools
> issue, and not leave this up to the distribution.  That is the only way
> we can hope to achieve some kind of unified standard.  Configuration
> tools are part of the day to day use of a computer.  And this is the
> only way we can hope for Gnome to standarize the user experience across
> Unix systems.

That's what we're working for :D

>    Anyways, distributions have created their own administration tools:
> Red Hat and Mandrake both have build Gtk-based sysadmin tools, and it
> might be worth integrating the best ideas of those into the GSTs.

yes, it might. we should review all the available tools for having a
better perspective in our own tools.

>    I think it would be great to engage the Debian community for three
> reasons:
>
> 	* Their strong server focus.
>
> 	* Their strong community
>
> 	* Their lack of GUI configuration tools.
>
>    Debian is a great choice, because we have done some of the UI heavy
> lifting, and what we need now, is to help them address their most
> important needs.
>
>    I know that Ximian is interested in shipping the GSTs for as many
> systems as possible to provide the same interactions across systems, but
> the more traction that we can get from the distributions, the better.
> And I think of Debian as a natural ally for this technology.

I agree with you, when the next release is done, we might begin having
contact with the Debian community, I actually think that it was already
an objective in the GST future plans.

	Greetings,
		Carlos

Esta parte del mensaje esta firmada digitalmente