Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] comments on the users tool

Hi Chema and Hackers,

I have completed the tasks described below (all three of them), and have
checked my
new and improved users's tool into cvs. The file name is
users_mockup.glade.in; please
peruse it at your leisure.

There are a few ui issues which I am conflicted about, and I will list
them here for
your consideration.

First of all, looking at my mockup, examine the main window. Note that
the buttons which were
formerly in the "settings" frame at the bottom of the window have been
moved into the
standard button area, to the right of the e-table. Anyone have a problem
with this? For your
knowledge, this one-button-area approach is currently being used in
several of the other
tools, including the new boot, shares and disks admins.  (nb: i don't
think that hpj is finished
implementing the new disks and shares stuff yet, so if you fire up these
tools and don't see
the layout i described, well, it is in the queue. )

Next, please examine the "groups" tab in the user settings dialog. So, I
have a combo
box next to "user name", because i was thinking that maybe the sysadmin
would want to handle
group membership for more than 1 person from this tool. If that doesn't
seem right, then i'm
happy to replace the combo box with an entry, or to remove it entirely
if that is appropriate.
(Being a little foggy on exactly what pracitcal value groups have, I'm
not sure how to handle
this.)

Finally, note the "Primary Group" button in the groups tab. I'm not
overwhelming happy with
its placement, and will probably tweak that a bit. Ideas as to where it
should go, anyone?
My current thoughts on how this button should operate are that it should
be greyed out
unless the user selects a group of which she is a member.

Oh! speaking of greyed out widgets, that is what i have in mind for the
advanced frame
on the first notebook page in the settings dialog. That is, when the
user is running the tool
in simple mode, she will see (but not be able to use) the contents of
the frame. When she
is running in advanced mode, the contents of the frame will be active.

Does most of that make sense? Please let me know what you think.
--Anna