Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Where XST is going.

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Richard Bos wrote:

> Is it now possible to get the backend tools a neutral cvs provider like e.g:
> sourceforge, savannah?  I believe that this will attract more developers to
> the backend tools.

I think gnome.org is neutral: we wouldn't have a problem hosting a project
that integrated KDE and GNOME code. Besides, what is neutral for you?
Lots of people are against Sourceforge now, and Savannah is sponsored by
the FSF, which is far from neutral.

Just hack, or if the word "gnome" causes seissures to you or others, I can
setup an A record on dyndns.org that points to cvs.gnome.org, just to
aleviate you or others from typing "gnome". Or, you can always use the IP
address!

> Will the backend tools be called "Gnome System Tools" as well?  I hope
> that these will get a more independent name like System Config Tools.

The backends are called Setup Tool Backends, if that's of any importance.

> > > I think this name is not clear and not user-friendly. XST means Ximian
> > > Setup Tools
> > > then XST System Tools will be Ximian Setup Tools System Tools. Sounds
> > > strange, isn't it? Maybe name can be System Control Tools or System
> > > Administration Tools or Gnome System Administration Tools or something ?
> > > But name is not very important thing, I only suggest to change it to
> > > more clear.

> > Yeah, looks like the new name is going to be "Gnome System Tools"

XST means XST System Tools, and it's a recursive name, just like GNU. But
again, I don't care about the name, so if there was a last-minute change
of plans, that's fine with me.

Arturo