[Setup-tool-hackers] Re: disk admin.

On 30 Jan 2001 10:25:57 -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> Guys,
>
>    I am not feeling too great about the disk-admin user interface.
> The question we have to ask us is: what is the disks and partitions
> tool going to be used for?
>
>    My gut feeling is, in priority order:
>
>       A new hard drive has been added to the disk and the user wants
>       to make use of it.
>
>       Reformat an existing partition, select the file system type.
>
>       "Mount" a file system that has not been flagged for
>       mounting and this should be done with a simple click.
>
>       Repartition the hard drive.
>
>       Add/remove a swap partition.
>
>    That being said, I think that a table packed with information on
> what is mounted, what is not, is not really relevant.  A lot of that
> information probably belongs in a "Properties" dialog box.
>
>    What would be a kick ass user interface that would achieve the
> above listed goals?   I have seen nice tools for this on Windows NT
> and MacOS.
>
> Miguel.

I agree with you.

I asked hpj to focus on removable media devices first and then
he can work on rewriting the disks tool backend. It is much more
common for users to setup floppies, cd-roms, zip drives than
hard drives since the distro installation usually sets up everything
related to hard drives.

Chema