Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] new idea -- LVM tool

On 08 Aug 2001 13:38:41 -0400, Matthew Brichacek wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have just recently dove
> into the gnome, libbonobo, libxml and CORBA docs and was wondering if
> the backend would be hard to write with these libraries.  I don't fully
> understand how it all works together, is libbonobo or CORBA similar to
> java's RMI?

ok, i know very little about java but here is a little explanation about
how every library fits in gnome framework:

    CORBA: is the communication method used in the GNOME, in GNOME 2.0
    CORBA will almost never be used directly, it will be used trough
    bonobo.

    You can consider CORBA as a transport, it also gives us the IDLs.

    libxml: is used to access XML streams, decode and encode them, it is
    just a library to manipulate XML files or streams.

    Bonobo: is the component model, this is: it provides of some basic
    objetos on top of CORBA to simplify the creation for servers and
    clients. It also provides of a way to embbed graphical objects, and
    a document model to build documents that are composed of pieces from
    diferent applications.

    The main things that Bonobo provides are the handling of the
    graphical objets (embbeding, changing menus and button bars, etc)
    and the document model.

    In gaia i'm using the basic objects (BonoboObject mainly) for the
    daemons and the embbeding capabilities to make the console
    extensible.

    GTK: is the graphical toolkit, it provides of the basic graphical
    objects, menus, buttons, windows, lists, etc.

    GConf: is a configuration database design to save properties of the
    desktop and the graphical applications, things like the desktop
    background, an the graphical "state" of applications (thing like the
    size of panels, buttons, etc)

    In the GNOME all the file formats are based on XML that's why libxml
    is so important, event GConf stores its keys into an XML based
    format, Gnumeric, Sodipodi, Abiword etc have file formats based on
    XML.

    OAF: is the activation framework, this is, when you want the
    component XXX to run you tell OAF so, and OAF will start it (if it
    is needed) and return an identifier to that object.

    libgnomeui: is a library over GTK that provides some more graphical
    stuff, standrad dialogs and things like that.

    I hope this will help you to clear you ideas about how things fit in
    the GNOME.

That is about all.

	RMI and CORBA i think that are the same thing in diferent 	worlds. you
can read a comparation of them here:

		http://www.execpc.com/~gopalan/misc/compare.html

I'm translating into english a document that i've written about Gaia, if
after reading it you are still interested in Gaia i will try to help you
to tune your skills.

Diego.