Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Users - design proposal

>> To avoid NIS configuration confusing users, the tab should only show up in
>> advanced mode.

> And of course if you are actually running NIS :)

No, I don't think so. If the user isn't advanced enough, he doesn't want to
affect the NIS configuration, even if the computer does have one. A host will
always be running a lot of services that the user isn't interested in, or
that are too complex to manage for a basic user.

> I need to do some work
> to return the user information from the NIS maps, and then make it
> editable (I have a horrible feeling this will have to be done on the NIS
> server - i.e it will have to run on the nis server ... in our place

Yeah. That's what the tools do - they help you manage a particular host's
services, be they client-side or server services. If you want to edit a
global NIS configuration from a client, and can't do that through the NIS
protocols, we'll have to discuss how this can be done, separately.

> that's fine (30k users) as the machine has the ability to run X
> applications (the box's other use in our machine room is 'ohmygod its
> broken I need an xterm').  Some work may need to be done in the future
> to address this, perhaps by allowing the backend to run on one machine
> and the frontend on another, but I think we should get it all working
> locally first.

Running the backend on another machine is actually not that hard. Run it
through an SSH tunnel. E.g.

and use the stdio streams as you would regularly. The frontends can be made
to use this or a similar scheme, but we'd have to handle authentication
elegantly. Plus, there should be a way to locate the backend dir, maybe with
a hst-config script somewhere in PATH.

--
Hans Petter