Re: [Straw] Please help me to clarify the need of aggregator

Hello!

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:13:44 +0800 (CST)
Stephen Liu <satimis yahoo com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> Just join this list.  I'm now searching the whole World to find an
> answer to clarify my doubt.
>

> I have a website running on my own server.  I'm trying to add news to
> my site via existing RSS feed.  Whether I need to install an
> aggregator such as "Straw"?  OR just sign a contract and download a
> RSS reader which will parse and format the XML feed for me?  There
> are hundreds of those RSS readers on Internet.  I can't sign contract
> with all of them. How to make my selection?

You don't need a RSS *reader* for generating news on the server. What
you need is some small piece of software that will generate a small XML
file that you will make accessible from your server. This small piece
of software could be a PHP script or some Java class - it depends on
what you have on your server. You can also craft the feed by hand in
the text editor if you want.

RSS readers will then download XML file (a feed) from your server and
display it to the user.

> If I need an aggregator such as "Straw" do I need installing GNOME to
> running it?  Do I still need to download a RSS reader.

You only need a reader (or an aggregator - same thing) if you want to
*read* the news. If you want to *publish* the news, you need something
on the server side.

Hope this helps.

--
Paweł Paprota