[Straw] Re: Please test CVS!

Andrew Conkling <andrew conkling gmail com> writes:

Andrew,

Hi!

<snip>

> I'm glad to see straw development happening.  As I mentioned a long
> time ago on the old list, I'm interested in using it and possibly
> throwing some code its way.  I wanted to test CVS as per the previous
> email, but I was wondering if it were possible to run straw without
> installing it.  I know that with my own program I've made that happen,
> but with only one library module that's a bit easier.  If not, I'll
> have to figure something out, but I don't really want to touch /usr
> with development stuff.

You have two options.

1) There's an app called 'stow' which creates the symlinks for the app in
   /usr/local. So for example stow is located in /usr/local/stow. Then you
   install straw using

   $ python setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local/stow/straw
   $ cd /usr/local/stow && stow -R straw
   $ straw

   ... by issuing stow -R, you're telling stow to create the proper symlinks
   in /usr/local. Of course you should add /usr/local/bin to your PATH.

2) Checkout the CVS then type

   $ cd /your/path/to/straw-cvs-head/src
   $ STRAW_IN_SOURCE_DIR=1 ./straw

I think that pretty much answers your question :-D

cheers,

--
Jan Alonzo                          <jmalonzo unpluggable com>