Re: Translators

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 23:49, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Here is a list of changes I'd like to make to libstorage-translators,
> please check if they make sense :)
>
> - Remove dependency on libwww and gmime. They doesnt seem to be used by
> the new translators, so I think it's better to remove them and make life
> easier to people that wants to give a try to storage (in general I'm a
> bit worried by the libwww dependency, it seem very old code, would
> prolly be hard to drag in such a dep when we will want to include
> storage with gnome).

The w3c doesn't appear to be developing libwww anymore.  It's seem to be
updated for maintenance only.  We should choose a better supported lib
if we need one.

> - Add a dependency on Open Text Summarizer. I'd like to use it to
> extract keywords from html and I think Curtis mentioned he wanted to use
> it too. It's used by abiword too, so I guess it make sense to have it as
> dep.

I definitely will be using Open Text Summarizer.  I think it's a
valuable tool for manufacturing meta data.

> - Remove the authentication info from the bonobo interface. I think it
> would be nicer to just use storage_get_default_store. That way we dont
> require applications to deal with authentication. For now
> get_default_store use a local connection to the db, but it could be
> easily changed to get auth info from somewhere else.
> - Add a metadata only boolean to StartImport. (btw what is the toplevel
> argument there ?)
> - Add an html importer. It use libxml to parse the url and extract info.
>
> Also I'd like to add an helper for logging and profiling (for debug
> pourpouses) to libstorage. I'd just port epiphany code for it, you can
> read how it works at
> http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/cvsblame.cgi?file=epiphany%2Fdoc/debugging.txt&rev=&root=/cvs/gnome
> Advantages compared to current defines are:
> - simpler to write. Just use something like LOG ("Hey"), and
> START_PROFILER, STOP_PROFILER
> - they can be completely disabled according to the --enable-debug
> configure option available in a gnome macro
> - they can be enabled in the code but shown only when necessary (or
> filtered) using an env var
>
> I think it would be useful to have it in libstorage-translators too, but
> I'm not sure how we could share that code between modules ...

I would appreciate profiling and logging capabilities; I'd use them if
they existed.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.