[Soylent-devel] ANNOUNCE: release: libsoylent v0.4.0 "small step, giant leap"

=== libsoylent v0.4.0 "small step, giant leap" ===

Let me present you the newest version of libsoylent: 0.4.0. Three weeks
of hard work went into this release, and in fact so much was added and
changed that we decided to skip a version-number. Sorry 0.3.0.

So, what's in it? More or less a complete people-management-library. Our
goal was to create a simple-yet-powerful API that "just works".
Hopefully we managed that. If you have no clear picture of what
libsoylent is or just want to know more about it, look at the examples
we've put up on the libsoylent-page [1].

What comes next? Because the library is that new and fresh, much testing
will be needed. If you want to help, just play around with libsoylent
and report bugs that you may encounter to our mailinglist. Thanks!
Besides, next to the need of more documentation and polishing, here is a
list of features that will follow in the next releases:
  * live-attributes (e.g. online-status)
  * communication (launch applications for chat / mail etc.)
  * address-book searching (atm you can only get all people)
  * people association / merging

Please leave a comment on my blog [2] if you have thoughts, ideas,
criticism, feature-requests or suggestions for changing something. Just
let us hear your opinion.

Anyway, if you're working on something that needs people-functionality,
why not give libsoylent a try?

[1]
http://live.gnome.org/Soylent/libsoylent#head-350076c20ead379a4d797b273ff4db09e67c22ab
[2] http://www.kalterregen.de/blog/

--- Changes ---

  * creating and modifying attributes works
  * adding / removing attributes to / from people works
  * attribute-mapping (for C runtime-types) implemented
  * attribute-system (definition, cleanup and to-string functionality)
implemented
  * changes to people can be commited
  * signals for SlBook, SlPerson and SlAttribute implemented
  * integrated gtk-doc
  * added a bunch of documentation
  * added more tests
  * added example-code (three examples)
  * revised architecture
  * a lot of internal-code improvements
  * fixed a bunch of bugs
  * added debugging functions
  * a lot of polishing was done (code-cleanup, convinience functions and
macros etc.)

--- Download ---

libsoylent is available for download at:

http://live.gnome.org/Soylent/libsoylent

--- Contact ---

Bugs, feature requests, questions and related discussion go to the Soylent
mailinglist. You can join at: