[Soylent-devel] Comments on API proposal

Hi Mikkel,

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 14:24 +0200, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
<snip>

> I hope you where serious about your request for feedback, because here
> is some more :-)
>
> DBus?
> I believe that the future of Gnome revolves around standardized dbus
> interfaces and well documented data models (and at least a few others
> on PGO has expressed the same opinion). Is it not an idea to base
> Soylent on this too? In this context the proposed API would be that of
> a client lib provided by Soylent. This would at least implicitly
> abstract out the database backend.

Yes, DBus is quite useful for IPC (not to mention it would make it
easier for KDE, etc. applications to use libsoylent).

I'm very interested in making DBus bindings once we get the client
library in good shape.

> Async API
> When you do IO (like database access or dbus) behind the scenes you
> basically must provide an async interface as well as a sync one. I
> suggest you model the API after the new GIO model (with Cancellables
> and GAsyncReply, look at the (quite good) documentation if you are not
> familiar with it).

Right - that was something in the back of my mind. We'll need to
determine which functions should be async and adjust the API.

Thanks,
-Travis