Re: [Snowy] Snowy Hackfest Proposal

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 15:09 -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> wrote:

> >> Just as a data point, we've been through that hell in Ubuntu One. It
> >> ain't easy, and I'm still not sure that we're totally out of it...
> >>
> > we are not indeed, just that we have several hacks to parse correctly
> > the output our JS editor does.
>
> Is the server side of this, the JS editor, or a combination of both
> something that would be worth open-sourcing and collaborating on?  It
> would be awesome to get this "for free" from our friends at Canonical.
> ;-)

it's the server side, yes, so not sure about having it public, but I can
ask. The editor we use is the one in YUI (Yahoo HTML library), and the
code to convert XML<->HTML is well isolated from the rest, so it
shouldn't be hard, if the managers allow us to make it public. But I
can't promise anything, I'll ask and let you know.

> If not, I expect we'll follow the same approach of using lxml, etc.

yes, don't use BeautifulSoup, it is completely broken. lxml at least
works

> > Although I investigated a little bit, and there seems to be a couple
> > that output correct xhtml:
> >
> > http://www.wymeditor.org/ is one of them, although I haven't really
> > tried for the Tomboy's XML<->HTML conversion, but I think it might be
> > worth a try
>
> Cool, we should probably make a wiki page comparing the many and
> varied JS editors out there.

I had a look at a few others, whose names I don't remember anymore, but
myeditor was, in theory, the best one. So yeah, maybe you can have a
look at others and compare