Re: [Snowy] Snowy Hackfest Proposal

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 15:09 -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:

>> > we are not indeed, just that we have several hacks to parse correctly
>> > the output our JS editor does.
>>
>> Is the server side of this, the JS editor, or a combination of both
>> something that would be worth open-sourcing and collaborating on?  It
>> would be awesome to get this "for free" from our friends at Canonical.
>> ;-)
>>
> it's the server side, yes, so not sure about having it public, but I can
> ask. The editor we use is the one in YUI (Yahoo HTML library), and the
> code to convert XML<->HTML is well isolated from the rest, so it
> shouldn't be hard, if the managers allow us to make it public. But I
> can't promise anything, I'll ask and let you know.

Rodrigo,

Have you had a chance to ask internally about open sourcing the bits
you use for U1 note editing? We spoke a week or two briefly on IRC and
you seemed to hint the answer was yes but I've not had a chance for
any further followup.

>> If not, I expect we'll follow the same approach of using lxml, etc.
>>
> yes, don't use BeautifulSoup, it is completely broken. lxml at least
> works
>
>> > Although I investigated a little bit, and there seems to be a couple
>> > that output correct xhtml:
>> >
>> > http://www.wymeditor.org/ is one of them, although I haven't really
>> > tried for the Tomboy's XML<->HTML conversion, but I think it might be
>> > worth a try
>>
>> Cool, we should probably make a wiki page comparing the many and
>> varied JS editors out there.
>>
> I had a look at a few others, whose names I don't remember anymore, but
> myeditor was, in theory, the best one. So yeah, maybe you can have a
> look at others and compare

If nothing else, it would be nice (for us) to put a list of the editor
widgets we try and what sort of markup they output. Your existing
experience in this area would be very helpful for snowy. Will you be
at the Boston Summit this year? If so perhaps it would be good to give
you a few $INSERT_BEVERAGES and coerce^Wask you the best way to
approach this problem seeing as how you already have :)

Thankyou

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com