Re: [Snowy] Snowy TO-DOs

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Paul Cutler <pcutler gnome org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was planning on sending an email today and then Sandy in IRC mentioned
> we're close to launching the alpha as well.
>
> Looking at http://live.gnome.org/Snowy/TomboyOnlineRoadmap I'm looking
> for some help in updating that page.

I think that page should almost be rewritten from scratch.  There is
no point in having a differentiation between a "private alpha" and an
"invite-only beta", and a lot of the tasks assigned to those two
phases really aren't "due" until we have our open beta.  On top of
that, there are a lot of feature like sharing and editing that are not
strictly required to do a 1.0 launch.

That page was always intended to be a draft, and was just never updated. ;-)

> Are there any bugs that are outstanding that we need to fix (or are
> feature enhancements) before the alpha launch?  Jeff has been working
> hard to make sure users can't login and sync if they're not in the
> alpha.  What else is outstanding?

We had an issue where we couldn't use innodb tables, but Jeff has a
work-around.  Using innodb is important because it is required for
transaction support, which is very much required by synchronization.

Also I had a bug that broke sync for me, and I did not file or fix it
yet, but as long as transaction support is present, this wouldn't
result in any data loss, just a bunch of failed syncs for a few
people.  It's not a blocker to having a small invite-only release.

> I bring this up for two reasons:
>
> 1 - I've been pinged a few times by people asking to join the alpha
> (especially after Stormy's recent blog post)

Me too.  We need to put these names in a list somewhere.

> 2 - If you saw Frederic Peters blog post today (Shell Yes!)[1] he's
> doing a semi-regular blog post about what's going on in Shell.  I would
> like to steal, er, borrow, this idea and do a fairly regular blog post
> about what's going on in Snowy.  I like the marketing spin to it as well
> as keeping users expectations in check.

Great idea.

> So I need help with 2 things - First, updating the page above, and
> secondly, semi-regular updates via email or IRC with things I should
> include.  I would like to do a first issue in the next day or two
> showing Jeff's work[2] as well as an update on the alpha.  Oh, and I
> could use help with a witty name for the blog posts - the first ones
> that jumped to my mind were "Walking the Dog" or "Taking Snowy for a
> Walk".  Or a better TinTin reference is appreciated too.

I'll talk to Jeff and Brad and try to get the roadmap updated.

"Taking Snowy for a Walk" works for me.

Sandy