Re: [Snowy] Guide for using Snowy with Apache and mod_python

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Sandy Armstrong
<sanfordarmstrong gmail com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Benoit Garret
> <benoit garret_gnome gadz org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Sandy Armstrong
>> <sanfordarmstrong gmail com> wrote:
>>> Hey folks,
>>>
>>> I've updated Piotr Gaczkowski's guide to deploying Snowy on Apache/mod_python:
>>>
>>> http://live.gnome.org/Snowy/ModPython
>>>
>>> Again, these fixes are mostly from jmullan in IRC, so thanks again.
>>>
>>> I've only tested these instructions with localhost access, so if you
>>> try it out and notice any gotchas, feel free to update the page or
>>> ping me.
>>
>> Because:
>> * I tried to follow Sandy's guide for mod_python and miserably failed.
>
> At what point did you fail?  I found out in IRC the other day that
> there are some issues with django-piston and mod_python, so
> authenticating to the server with Tomboy would likely break until we
> figure out the problem.  Is that where you had problems, or earlier?

I first had problems with the media directories, I had to copy the
media directory from DJANGO_DIR/contrib/admin to public_html and
override ADMIN_MEDIA_PREFIX and MEDIA_URL to point to the right urls
(respectively /~USERNAME/snowy/media and /~USERNAME/snowy/site_media).

The second one was related to the database. Snowy could find it and
read from it but any writing operation failed (the permissions set by
the syncdb script were rw-r--r--). I fixed this with chown 666
snowy.db and chown 777 the snowy dir (I found the latter tip at
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/NewbieMistakes#DjangosaysUnabletoOpenDatabaseFilewhenusingSQLite3).

The third one (which I didn't manage to fix) was an internal server
error when trying to sync, something about modpythonhandler not having
an 'environ' attribute. That would be the problem you're mentioning.

I also had another one when trying to view a note, Snowy was trying to
parse 'data/note2xhtml.xsl', didn't find it and threw a parserError.
That's when I called it quits and instead looked at mod_wsgi.

>> * The Django doc recommends mod_wsgi over mod_python.
>> * Choice is good.
>>
>> I've created a guide for setting up Snowy with apache/mod_wsgi at:
>>
>> http://live.gnome.org/Snowy/WSGI
>>
>> I'm using Ubuntu Server 8.04 on a dedicated server, so I may be able
>> to offer help if you're using this platform but not so much if you're
>> using anything else.
>
> Awesome, thanks Benoit!  One question: where does the snowy.wsgi file
> go after you create it?

Thanks for pointing this, it wasn't obvious. I modified the guide to
better explain where it should go.