Re: [Snowy] Some patches

CCing snowy-list...don't forget to reply-all!

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Piotr Gaczkowski<doomhammerng gmail com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 5:43 AM, Sandy
> Armstrong<sanfordarmstrong gmail com> wrote:
>> Hi Piotr,
>>
>> Thanks for the patches!  A quick first impression:
>>
>> * "Don't assume we own the root" - This one's for Brad to review
>> * "Now it works with MySQL too" - Also for Brad
>>
>> * "Allow POSTing notes" - This is a big change to make.  Can you
>> elaborate more on why "Apache chokes on large PUT requests"?  Changing
>> from PUT to POST violates HTTP principles, but I am fine with doing it
>> if it is really necessary.  If we do it, we should change all the
>> way...allow POST *instead of* PUT, not *in addition to* it.  We would
>> have to update our API page and others who are implementing the API.
>
> Well, after half a day struggling with Apache I found that by default
> it limits its PUT request size to 8kB. As Tomboy tries to push all
> notes at once it easily exceeds this limit. There were to ways to
> solve this: either use PUT, but be aware that requests should be
> limited or use POST that has limits in MBs or none at all.

Okay, that makes sense.  Does POST also have a limit on request size
that we should be aware of?

I understand that a lot of people wanting to host Snowy will be on
shared servers where they might not be able to configure Apache as
freely as the rest of us.  So, I think this is probably a necessary
change.  Anybody else have opinions here?

>> * "Make it work with Snowy in subdirectory and with Apache" - The
>> subdirectory stuff might have to change after we finish working on the
>> API changes described in the root resource here:
>> http://live.gnome.org/Tomboy/Synchronization/REST
>
> I'm eager to have this running on my machine to easily sync notes, so
> I can help you with testing.

Awesome, will shoot an email out here as soon as it's pushed upstream.

Sandy