Re: [Shotwell] remote photo file storage - possible?

On 09/05/2019 19.21, rikona wrote:
I'm considering moving all my photos to a network attached storage
device (NAS) so that family members can view all the pix taken by
everyone. This is on the local net only, not accessible outside the
local net. Is it possible to use shotwell on each local computer such
that ALL the pictures, tags, events, etc are seen by everyone, no
matter who sets it up? If so, what do I need to do to make this work as
described? If not, is there a better way to approach this goal?

You can symlink a directory on the NAS to the Shotwell default
directory. This way each user still can have their private pictures and
see those on the NAS. And if the NAS is not available (say, you take the
laptop out of home), shotwell would still work.

They would not be stored on the NAS by shotwell though. With this method
you have to move them later, manually.

With a different setup of links you could read and write to a directory
on the NAS, and see other directories (on the NAS) from other users.
Just make your directory on the NAS the default for shotwell, and link
those of other users inside.

More or less :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,