Re: [Shotwell] Reset library.

Hi,

[I apologise if this starts a new thread. I received it in a digest, but I know of no way of replying to a message in a digest. I've not used mailing lists much.]

Thanks for that. I didn't know of the GSettings connection. I'll have a look at that. I've commented below.

Hi,

> I saved and deleted the database in ~/.local/share/shotwell/data and
> started it up again. It immediately started auto-importing my
> pictures again. How do I stop it doing that and where does it find
> the information to know where to auto-import stuff from?

The two configuration keys are:

gsettings get org.yorba.shotwell.preferences.files auto-import
gsettings get org.yorba.shotwell.preferences.files import-dir

You can obviously also set them with "set" instead of get

Thanks.

> I want to
> a) Remove the database and any configurations that might be around.
> b) Start up Shotwell and set the Library location to the location of
> my photos on disk.

See above, you should be able to do that from the command line,
but at least you are able to turn off auto-import.

> c) Import all the photos from that same location.
>
> It seems odd to me that Shotwell, by default, moves images from the
> import location to the library. It would seem more sensible to leave
> the files where they are, by default, and build the database pointing
> to the import location. As it is I seem to have to trick Shotwell
> into leaving the images where they are by setting the import location
> to the library location.  There doesn't seem to be a configuration
> option to stop Shotwell moving the files.

I don't know how you managed to configure Shotwell to have its library
and the auto-import directory differently. Auto-import on start-up
usually only happens from the library and when it is importing inside
the library it will not move.

OK. Probably my misunderstanding of what happened. I'll try again, and this time I will note down exactly what I do.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Cliff