Re: [Shotwell] Can't import from card, Shotwell 'auto-importing' nothing

Brian, thanks so much for the reply. I think that passing the incorrect flag did, indeed, corrupt the database. Let me explain how my library is set up:

  • I have an external hard drive that mounts at /media/user/XTHD.
  • I have a symlink to it at ~/Camera.
  • I used to have a symlink at /media/XTHD. This was because my external drive would sometimes mount in different places, and I didn't want to fiddle with the udev rules.

I know at some point I had pointed my datadir to the /media/XTHD symlink. This created two watched folders in Shotwell, one of which was simply a symlink pointing to the other. I deleted this symlink, started Shotwell with datadir pointing to the correct location, but that folder is still there in Shotwell and I still have problems.

OK so to address your comment about the location of the data directory: it is not in the base of the hard drive, but it is inside my photo folder. So I have /Camera, which is where all my photos are, and also in this directory is /data and /thumbs. What I'm getting from you is that these need to be in a folder outside of /Camera. Is this correct?

I would imagine the db file could easily find my photos even if I move it, because the paths to the images aren't relative to the location of the db. However, it sounds like I need to dump and regenerate my thumbnails, and I'm wondering how to go about this.

Thanks so much for your help, your explanation was very helpful.