Re: [seedkit-list] Newbie questions

Hi Keith,

Thqnks for you interest in SeedKit. Sorry for the late answer, haven't
been around recently. I'll try my best to answer your questions inline
bellow :

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Keith Pettit <keith setuplinux com> wrote:

> 1) How can I create a site specific browser?  On the SeedKit modules page it
> mentioned "SeedKit Site Specific Browser" but I don't see
> any instructions or examples in the code I downloaded on how to do that.  I
> want to be able to open a URL and browse through it but having any links
> outside the URL use the default system browser.

SSB is currently not implemented and is a planned feature. In my my
mind it'll be composed of two components:
* a SSB viewer, restricting, as you mentioned, the browsing to a
specific domain and offering system integration (launcher via .desktop
file, notifications etc...) via JS extensions.
* an epiphany extension to transform any site into an application
Sadly, due to professionnal engadgments, I hadn't had the time to
begin work on this topic. Any help or feature request apreciated.

> 2) Can I use seedkit to create app using TinyMCE to edit and browse local
> html files?  Any examples or pointers to get me started?

Yes, SeedKit allows this use-case. You can have a look at the GIO
example doing just that: read a local file using Gio and displaying
the contyent within a html text-area. This area could easily be
replace by a `TinyMCE or Bespin component.

> 3) Can seedkit be used to create Linux and Windows apps or only Linux?

I can answer to that, it depends on several factors:
* are seed and webkit-gtk usable under windows ?
* are common gobject introspected libraries available under windows ?

I honestly haven't give it a try.

> 4) Is there a contact for commercial support?

SeedKit isn't in a state of being commercially supported and I would
discourage its usage in a commercial project for now:
API ain't stable, the documentation is sparse and the test-suite inexistent.

Those issues will be ironed out with time hopefully. Do not hesitate
to post here your bug reports, feature requests and suggestions,
I'll do my best to fixe that in a timely manner (knowing that I work
on SeedKit on my freetime).
Of course, I'd love to be backed financially to work on it full-time
with specific use-cases in mind :)

Another way to help would be to raise awareness of the project so to
pick up the interest of other developers, testers and users.