Re: How to get default key/passphrase to work in xubuntu?

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 03:05:46PM +0100, Stef Walter wrote:
> On 2011-12-13 14:57, Chris Green wrote:
> > What I need to know is what has to be installed (and what shouldn't be
> > installed) for this to work.  Then what do I need to set up to get my
> > login password to be used as the ssh default passphrase?
>
> I have no idea how much of this XFCE or XUbuntu sets up by default.
> Here's how this is done in GNOME:
>
>  1. Setup pam_gnome_keyring in your display manager pam configs.
>     From your ps output it seems like this is being done
>  2. Start gnome-keyring-daemon correctly in the startup. Either
>     through a custom script or via the standard xdg autostart
>     mechanism.

>  3. Make sure you're using gnome-keyring's SSH agent. Enabled
>     by default, but can be toggled using gnome-session-properties.

I managed to prevent ssh-agent from starting up and I do have an
SSH_AUTH_SOCK environment variable pointing at the gnome-keyring-daemon
process so that's all in place.

>  4. You will be prompted for your SSH key passwords, type them the
>     first time and choose the option to automatically unlock the
>     keys whenever you're logged in.

Aha!  This is the bit that was missing.  I think I may also have managed
to clear out some junk on the way so that this now works.  On my system
the option is hidden until you click on Details and, in addition, until
recently the "automatically unlock the keys ..." option was greyed out.

> This all works by default in GNOME, but if you need help replicating
> this with you custom setup I can help via IRC. I'm often on #keyring on
> gimp.net.

Basically I think it mostly all works under xfce, I suspect that I have
odd bits of gnome and KDE that have got mixed into my system that
confuse things sometimes.

Thank you for the help.

--
Chris Green