Re: Debianization

On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 08:43 +0200, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
> Guys,
>
> although this might sound like a good idea, please remember a couple of
> things:
>       * upstream generally doesn't know well about respective
>         distributions build system which means they will most likely
>         make mistakes and end up not maintaining it that much
>       * downstream already does the job of packaging for their distro
>         fine with people dedicated to that QA checks, ... as long as the
>         package is well behaved (like most autotools/cmake based
>         packages are), the work is even easy
>       * your favorite distribution provides an easy way to
>         rebuild/update yourself the package, apt-get source, rpmsrc, cp
>         for gentoo, ...
>
> I hope this makes it clear that downstream stuff has no place in
> upstream repositories.

+1. Usually Debian-based downstreams like to download the upstream
source code, and use it as is -- no changes at all to the downloaded
source code. Patches -- again, against the downloaded source -- are
stored under ./debian/patches.

Now, picture an upstream that is also sort-of debianised. All is done
correct, except we need some additional patches.

Disaster. We would have to change the upstream code as provided by
upstream. We would have to update ./debian/changelog to cater for our
patches. And so on. There are ways out of it -- use a get-orig-source
rule in the makefile (./debian/rules) that will strip off the ./debian
directory, and create a *new* distribution tarball. Nasty.

Of course, this is not the single issue. What would rpm-based distros do
with a debianised source?

Etc, etc, etc.

This would not be an issue if the upstream maintainer happens to be also
a downstream maintainer. But, again, what would a RedHat maintainer do
with a ./debian?

Regards,

..C..