Re: [gdm-list] gnome-screensaver authenticates users through GDM

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 10:02 -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Brian Cameron wrote:
> >    Another advantage is that on the console, this could be written so
> >    the authentication dialog screen is presented on a separate VT and
> >    runs as the "gdm" user, providing better TrustedPath security.  This,
> >    for example, ensures that the authentication dialog is not using
> >    the same Xauth cookie as the user's session, avoiding any possible
> >    interference or snooping from a userland program.
>
> Running unlock on another X server actually provides even more benefits:

Currently, before a user logs in GNOME, I find root user's Xorg keeps
running. Why it is not a normal user's X server like 'gdm'?

If the screensaver program is put into GDM, after a user logging in, two
X servers may be keep running. One is 'gdm', another is the logged in
user. Will this consume more system resource? thus affect the system
performance?

Jeff