Re: [gdm-list] gnome-screensaver authenticates users through GDM
- From: Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM>
- To: Bob Doolittle <Robert Doolittle Sun COM>
- Cc: gdm-list gnome org, screensaver-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: [gdm-list] gnome-screensaver authenticates users through GDM
- Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:44:10 -0600
Please don't require a mouse-movement or other user interaction to
initiate the authentication for unlock.
Why not do it immediately?
Requiring user interaction makes it impossible to automate unlocking a
session via the PAM stack, which can be very useful at times if there is
some method of authentication occurring outside of the session itself
(e.g. Sun Ray Non-SmartCard Mobility).
IMO a screen saver should call pam_authenticate immediately when the
screen is locked, to allow for such mechanisms. What would be the
purpose in waiting?
Yes, it does make sense to show the lockscreen immediately, and
after a timeout show the eye-candy, that's true. That's how lock
screen works currently, I believe.
] [Thread Prev