Re: More configuration

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 01:34 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 17:18 -0800, Ted Gould wrote:
> > I was couldn't find any discussion in the archives, but I was curious if
> > there was some discussion on adding more configuration to the GSS
> > settings dialog.  No, I'm not looking for "xscreensaver-demo", but it
> > would be nice to do things like specify the directory for photos (or use
> > the FD.o one).  It'd be nice to use more GConf.
>
> It's been discussed already. See the FAQ:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeScreensaver/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#head-64ef29e28226e09a3b849d8f00726cc004625c62

Yes, I read that.  But, what I'm concerned about is things like
configuring which directory of pictures are coming from.  As mentioned
in that answer the hacks are calling xscreensaver-getimage which calls
xscreensaver-getimage-file with the directory specified
in /etc/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver.  That's likely to be something
people would want to configure, or should be at least their
~/.config/user-dirs.dirs:XDG_PICTURES_DIR.

It seems to be able to do that xscreensaver-getimage needs to be
replaced, or at least modified to take it's configuration from other
places.  It seems like a GConf value or something like that.

I'm not interested in over configuring things, but I think there are a
few things that should be taken outside of the xscreensaver
configuration parameters.

		--Ted