Re: gnome-screensaver, new api calls requested :-)

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 16:20 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Sounds good, the only concern I have is that g-p-m requires HAL and HAL
> > is not available on a lot of exotic platforms (in fact right now only on
> > Linux 2.6 based systems) so some people may be upset about this.
>
> That is a very good point.  I hadn't really considered that.
>
> Maybe g-p-m could operate in a reduced capacity on systems without HAL?
>   For instance, if we move X11 power management stuff into g-p-m that
> part wouldn't require HAL.

Yea, I suspect vendors shipping g-s but not g-p-m can simply write a
small daemon listing on D-BUS for doing the DPMS stuff. I'm sure using
python or something equally modern with D-BUS bindings can be done in
about 20 lines. Perhaps ship this in the g-s tarball as an example. Then
g-s would be feature complete and still allow to integrate with g-p-m
where the DPMS stuff ultimately should be.

How about that?

Of course, we should encourage such vendors to port HAL to their
platform and as an example it seems like Sun Microsystem is doing that
for Solaris.

Cheers,
David