Stepping down, gratitude, etc.

Hi, dear Sawfish users.

I step down from "an active developer." I still subscribe this mailing
list, but I don't read all. If you want an attention, please cc: to me.
(My git remote still points to gnome.) I can kill wiki spams.

I can't tell the future, but I don't think I'll be as active again as
I used to. Maybe I'll pick up some of interesting features by mmc.
Firefox 4 seems to flicker more than 3.x, and I'd like a fix, but
that doesn't necessarily mean I'll do it.

As a Japanese, let me here express my greatest gratitude for all help
to the tsunami and earthquake sufferes[1] from all over the world.

I haven't done anything for earthquakes and tsunamis in Taiwan,
Turkey, Indic Ocean, Indonesia, Iran, Chile, China, Haiti, etc[2]. But
many in these region, too, not to mention others, have acted for
them. I'm sorry I can't correctly thank you and all.

And our nuclear power plant. I'm sorry.

I guess you've heard what failed, but it's important, so let me
repeat: Public agencies like ministries are corrupt, together with
elected politicians and power supplier companies.

In Japan, this triangle is everywhere. For example, transition of
traffic lights to LEDs from bulbs were delayed much. Why? Because only
companies which maintain signal lights are those which "hire" retired
policemen. Huh? But it's true. Once it's LED, these companies lose
contracts. So the police didn't allow this new movement. We now see
LEDs, so they must have "solved" the issue, but I don't know how. (To
be fair: Japanese policemen rarely, if not never, strike citizens.)

A higher official retired from the Economy & Industry Ministry months
ago, and was hired as an "advisor" by TEPCO, the electrity supplier
which owns Fukushima. If there hadn't been the accident, he would have
been "promoted" to the vice president in a year or so. Splendid.

Ah - Fukushima is a really attractive region. That the name is poluted
is also a big shame.

The Ministry is supposed to supervise the electricity companies, but they
don't put strict, but rational regulations because it'll be expensive
-> their salaries there might be less -> no reason. "Ok, if it doesn't
happen while I'm there, I won't be blamed. The earthquake once per
1000 years? I can safely ignore it."

Your countries may be similar, but remember, eventually you have to
pay for it. It WILL happen. "Ok, you're right, I really agree, but I
can be kind of exempted, no? It's really tiny, and..." No.

The nuke power plant corruption story still continues much more, but
let me stop here. After all, you have to solve your local problems to
improve your life, not Japan's.

I'm not clearly pro nor con to nuke-power generation, but I can affirm
that in Japan the power is in the hand of those who can't handle
it. They haven't trained themselves for emergencies, because "it is
safe."  - "Why can you say it's safe?" - "Because it's safe." In Japan,
safety is a religion (or a sect), not accumulation of facts.

Sigh. Anyway I thank you again for your heartfelt sympathy. The entire
issue is so big and I can't express well.

Teika (Teika kazura)

[1] They don't shiver awfully any more, but it still sometimes get
cold. Their days and nights are still difficult. Carbohydrate is not
short, (I understand many on the earth don't have enough) but
vitamins and iron is. Ports are terrible. Ships are gone. Vast
farming fields are under sea. Families. Houses. Often survivors regret
"Why was it I who survived?" Life in refuge shelters is tough.

[2] The world has deserted Iraq, (not only US and its dogs including
Japan, but France, Germany and Russia have done anything? NEVER.)
Sudan, Afghan, Pakistan. Many dictators are still there. Greedy Wall
Street hasn't received what it deserves. Lybia.