Re: Speaking of Fedora and Sawfish

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 02:47:36PM -0400, James Ralston wrote:
> On 2011-03-31 at 13:45-04 Christopher X Candreva <chris westnet com> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone started looking at what we'll have to do to keep useing
> > Sawfish under Fedora 15 / Gnome 3, when Gnome Shell replaces use of
> > a window manger and the panel?
>
> I don't think this will be possible.  The entire point of Gnome Shell
> is that it combines the functionality of the panel, window manager,
> and notification daemon.

"Combines" and "functionality" is way too optimistic description.
Only this is not the point.  Fedora does not ban, or at least not
yet, other window managers and XFCE, for example, still works.  So
the question is how to make sawfish a replacement of Gnome Shell
without requiring to start it "by hand".  Other examples show that
this is possible.

> Yes.  "Fallback mode" is essentially "GNOME Classic": gnome-panel, a
> window manager (metacity), and a notification daemon.

Not that much with functionality stripped out but I am not sure how
this is relevant.

   Michal