Re: sawfish-config segfault

Christopher Roy Bratusek said:     (by the date of Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:24:00 +0100)

> Valgrind gives nothing for sawfish-config, coredump only this:
>
> #0  0x00007fe728ee4478 in ?? ()
>
> That's not a lot of infos. Yes, -dbg packages are installed.
>
> I'll now try with librep before Teikas bugfix.

that's seriously weird.

If you are 100% sure that
- change in librep introduces the bug, AND
- you have -dbg installed and it works

Then the bug isn't hidden in librep, but in some external library. If
you find which change in librep introduces the bug, then see if it
has any external calls.

There is a very easy way to verify that -dbg is installed and used by
valgrind. Simply change the code in question (add one or two lines),
that performs undefined operation. Like:

int zz; // zz is uninitialized !!!
if(zz==-33) then zz=0; // trying to read uninitialized variable: illegal

And valgrind will give you the line number in librep where you made
the mistake.

Oh wait sawfish-config is another executable!
So it means that you must run sawfish-config from terminal inside valgrid.
NOT sawfish:

  valgrind /usr/bin/sawfish-config >&1  2>&1 | tee sawfish-valgrind

best regards