Re: changing the main menu

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:32:07 +0100
Fabrice DELENTE <delentef gmail com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> > Can someone tell me how to re-order the root menu that comes up
> > with a left click?
>
> Well mine comes up with a middle click, but that's not relevant :^)
>
> You can populate the root menu the way you want this way: create a
> file ~/.sawfish/rc, and put that king of stuff in it:
>
> (define-special-variable root-menu
>   '(("Small RXvt" (system "/home/fab/bin/small_RXvt &"))
>     ("Firefox" (system "firefox &"))
>     ("PCManFM" (system "pcmanfm &"))
>     ("RealPlayer" (system "/test/RealPlayer/realplay &"))))
>
> That redefines the root-menu variable that sawfish uses to populate
> the root menu.
>
> Its syntax is rather simple:
>
> '(( "label" command )
>   ( "label" command )
>   ( "label" command )
>   etc.
>  )
>
> "label" is the text that appears in the menu, and "command" the
> lisp command that is executed when the entry is clicked.
>
> The most common command is (system "...&") which starts
> asynchronously any system command (that is, a new X client, or a
> script, or any program you have on your machine).
>
> You can also put () instead of ( "label" command ), on that case a
> line separator will appear in the menu.
>
> > At the same time, there is a debian menu in .sawfish/lisp
> > that gets ignored.
>
> I don't know about debian peculars though.
>
> I hope it helps.

  Certainly does - one or two other questions---basically I want to
re-order the items on the root menu...where does Sawfish get this
info from?? I'd like to look at that file(s) to see how Sawfish
builds the menu. Is this possible?

The debian-menu I referred to is in ~/.sawfish/lisp - it's called
debian-menu.jl

Appreciate the response.

Frank