Re: [Patch] apps-menu

On 8/20/2010 10:05 AM, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
Christopher Roy Bratusek<zanghar freenet de>  writes:
Am Fri, 20 Aug 2010 07:29:56 -0600
schrieb Matthew Love<matth love gmail com>:

Here is another patch for apps-menu.jl.

This fixes the issues with the language-strings in the desktop files.
It now better follows the freedesktop.org specifications.

Please test to make sure it is working for all.

it does here, waiting for others, though. Besides patch looks ok.

No problems with the patch for me.  I did notice, though, that there are
(and presumably were before, but I didn't check) two entries under
"Settings" for "Synaptic Package Manager" on my system.  This is
evidently because there are two desktop files: synaptic.desktop and
synaptic-kde.desktop.  Here's a diff:

diff synaptic.desktop synaptic-kde.desktop
130c130
<  Exec=su-to-root -X -c /usr/sbin/synaptic
---
Exec=synaptic
134,135c134,136
<  Categories=PackageManager;GTK;System;Settings;
<  NotShowIn=KDE;
---
Categories=PackageManager;System;
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=true
OnlyShowIn=KDE;

Good catch, the apps-menu doesn't currently honor the OnlyShowIn and NotShowIn fields at the moment, this is something I plan on adding in shortly. This would require a check to see if, for example, KDE is currently running or not, any suggestions as to that are welcome.

I'll look into the options in respect to that to see if we can get something working. In the same vein, I'd like to be able to check which, if any, DE is running when the apps-menu is generated in order to give more appropriate menu entries, especially for KDE, but also for Gnome.