Re: Session Restoring All Windows on First Workspace

Clinton Ebadi <clinton unknownlamer org> writes:
> Jeremy Hankins <nowan nowan org> writes:

>> Theoretically, I could use some other session manager and get the
>> same results.  Any suggestions for a simple session manager that just
>> manages a session?  Ideally I wouldn't have to spend much time
>> futzing with it...
>
> So it turns out that sawfish was actually not even starting properly!

Can you explain how you start sawfish?  I got gnome starting sawfish by
using gconf-editor to edit
desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager.  At first I
thought I could specify a path there, but it seems that it's expecting a
desktop file, not an executable.  Once I figured that out I was able to
get gnome to start sawfish rather than silently ignoring the
"/usr/local/bin/sawfish" I'd had there.  I honestly don't comprehend how
gnome is considered easy to use....

Anyway, I do all this and discover that sawfish isn't being run with the
--sm-client-id arg at all, so it's running without session management.
So I still can't test it out myself.

> After fixing things such that it was being started correctly... it
> bombed out with a weird error and unhelpful backtrace. After a bit of
> debugging and figuring out how the debugger worked... tada, I discovered
> the problem was in lisp/sawfish/wm/user.jl. The last bit consumes *all*
> command line arguments, and attempts to load anything it does not
> recognize as a file, or, if it does not exist, as a module. And thus
> sawfish died upon encountering "--sm-client-id".

This seems to be the result of a commit Chris made back in August of 2009:

commit 379750f67d7227499a93b35dfa8c138d4ca5606f
Author: chrisb <zanghar freenet de>
Date:   Sat Aug 29 18:24:40 2009 +0200

    changed position of user-level initialization

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan nowan org>