Overriding installed lisp code from home directory?

Greetings,

Could someone remind me (I've looked, but nothing seems very relevant) what the correct procedure is for "shadowing" lisp files installed on the system?

Basically, I want ~/.sawfish/lisp/wm/placement/smart.pl to override /usr/share/sawfish/1.3.5.2/lisp/sawfish/wm/placement/smart.jl when sawfish loads.

Can this be done at all? If so, how? I'm running 1.3.5.2

If it's possible and I find out how, I'll try add it to the FAQ.

Thanks in advance,

Rafal Kolanski.