Re: Debian packages. Critical bugs before releasing 1.6.0

Hi, Janek.

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:23:35 +0100, Janek Kozicki wrote:
> What didn't work [in latest GIT version]:
>
> 1) all of my keybindings defined in ~/.sawfish/custom were not there.
>    Ignored, unused, I'm not sure what exactly went wrong. Because the
>    file was not cleaned empty. The bindings are still in it. But in
>    sawfish bindings they are not listed. And they don't work, of
>    course.

I now installed the latest, but it works as usual. I don't think
we have changed in keyboard related part at all since 1.5. Maybe
some other process, or zombie instance of sawfish is snatching the key
input?

> I notice also that the order of variables is switched in
> ~/.sawfish/custom, the "window matches" are moved to the top of the
> file. But apart from that the contents of the file is the same.

Each time you edit options with the configurator, sawfish-config
(former sawfish-ui), the order changes, so this is not a problem.

# I control my ~/.sawfish/custom with git, but I always filter it with
# 'sort', to make the diff meaningful.

> 2) 9 mouse buttons. I simply could not figure this out. I wanted to
>    configure xbindkeys to send some keycode when I press a mouse
>    button. Then simply change the keybindings in sawfish to use that
>    keycode instead of Button9 and others.
>
>    But I could not get xbindkeys to generate any useful keycode. It
>    pastes a string in an xterm. No problem. But let's say that I want
>    a Button9 to generate an XF86AudioStop keycode, or an 0x66 keycode.
>    I don't know how.

You've installed xvkbd? The page cited from the wiki says "xbindkeys *or*
xvkbd", but you need both. Sorry. I'll look for better reference.

> file ~/.xbindkeysrc
>
> "xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[XF86AudioStop]""
> m:0x0 + b:9
>
> This one pastes a string to terminal, when I press Button9:

Let me report my trial. I've got synaptic (with synaptics driver), and
I tried button 6 & 7.

Mine:
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Left]""
m:0x0 + b:6

1. It seems that -xsendevent can be omitted. I couldn't find the difference.
2. I don't know what "m:0x0" means (no modifier?), but it can be omitted.
3. It's unstable. I tried it on emacs. It sometimes works as left, but
   sometimes reported as "Button 6"
4. The focus goes away when I press button 6. After I focus the window
   again with window-cycle, then button 6 is sent to the window. Why?
5. After the window is un-focused, my key for raise-lower doesn't
   recognized.
6. When I bind Alt + Escape (toggle-window-shaded), it works. So it
   depends on the bound text?

I'll search for more on xbindkeys. That's all for now.

Regards,
Teika (Teika kazura)