Re: Revert try-require?

Am Samstag, den 03.10.2009, 14:29 +0900 schrieb Teika Kazura:
> Hi. Recently, new func `try-require' is added into wm.defaults:
> ;; try to trequire a script, but don't
> ;; err if failed
> (define (try-require sym)
>   (condition-case nil
>       (require sym)
>     (error nil)))
>
> 1. I don't think it makes sense. If 'require' fails,
> then the code that follows doesn't work, with error
> "(void-value symbol-foo-bar)". But they wonder why it is not
> defined, since they assume it's loaded. So, what has to be detected is
> that require failed.
>
> But it's not written that it returns a signal at failure. I'll do that.
>
> 2. Even if it's to be adopted, this shouldn't be in Sawfish, but in
> librep.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Teika (Teika kazura)

actually it throws t or nil

(if (try-require 'sawfish.wm.ext.fdo-menu)
    do that fancy action
  fallback)

And I also would like to see it in librep (also `some') but I'm
currently working on rep-gtk (I'm rewriting the GDK Binding atm) and
therefore don't have the time for this now. But if someone else provides
a patch against librep 0.90.3, you're welcome.